Friday, April 10, 2009

My Easter Obsession

Everyone has a favorite Easter candy and Peeps are usually top-ranked lots of people's lists. Not mine though! Don't get me wrong, I love Peeps! I even have a Peeps t-shirt that I wear on Easter every year (or on any other day when I feel like wearing a cute little fluffy chick on my shirt). But now that Peeps are available at other holidays, including Christmas, Halloween, and Valentine's Day, I don't feel the same urgency to purchase them and stuff their fluffiness in my mouth! While I'm still hoping Adam surprises me on Easter Sunday with some Peeps (hint, hint), these adorable little monsters weren't my subject of obsession this year.

This year, I was on the mission to find my favorite childhood candy. The biggest problem was...I didn't even know what they were called! After a quick internet search, I discovered that they are called Brach's Chicks and Bunnies! Now, I just have to find them! I searched high and low at Walgreens, CVS, Publix, and Target. I was about to give up all hope when I scoured the aisles at Target one last time. Thrown in with the strawberry-flavored Jet-Puff marshmallows, I found one lone bag of Chicks and Bunnies! Mission Accomplished!

For those of you who have never had the pleasure of trying one of these amazing treats, they are very similar to Circus Peanuts (surprise surprise, another of my favorites!). They are a very dense, chewy marshmallow that dissolves away to a smooth grittiness as you eat it. I know that sounds like an oxymoron - smooth grittiness - but if you've had them, I think you'd agree. These candies are perplexing. Upon first tasting them, people often get a confused look on their faces as they try to wrap their minds around the texture and taste. Some say it has a hint of artificial banana flavoring. Some like them better fresh and soft while others prefer them stale and hard as a rock. I personally like them fresh and I enjoy eating them without the over-analysis! Just enjoy them for what they are - pure marshmallow-y goodness!

Oh, and for those of you who are wondering about my bowl choice for this photo...We bought these wooden pineapple-shaped bowls in Hawaii on our honeymoon and we've never used them! I think we forget about them because they're on the top shelf (which I can't reach without a stool) in our kitchen. I decided these bowls would be perfect to display the Chicks and Bunnies! Let's call it a Florida-themed Easter basket!

Oops! It was just too tempting!

What is your favorite Easter candy???

4 comments:

M's Mommy said...

I like the Cadbury eggs, not the ones with the gooey yellow center, but the milk chocolate with the candy coated shell. Hey, I bought a cake leveler and used it last night. Check my blog to see a picture of the cake I made. It doesn't compare to yours though. My friend Holly are going to do a class at Michaels over the summer, can't wait! HAPPY EASTER!

Elise said...

I've never heard of those before! My favorite is Cadbury's Creme Eggs! Every year I have to buy at least a couple! This year, I went all out and got a dozen mini ones. Totally cute and I don't feel quite as guilty popping one (OK...two) in my mouth.

Mel said...

Oooh! I think the regular sized Cadbury eggs are WAY better than the minis. I guess I prefer the chocolate to cream ratio in the large eggs. :) And I also prefer the ones with the cream center to the caramel and other ones. :) Thanks for the comments!

Elise said...

Very true about the large Cadbury eggs being much better. There's barely any cream in the mini ones. I finally gave up and ate a large (OK, two) egg.

Post a Comment