Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Bowling Birthday Party!

One of the more fun cakes I got to decorate last week was for an 8-year-old's birthday party. Mary Madelyn (don't you just love the name Madelyn???) was having her party at a bowling alley so we decorated the cake to match her colorful, hip invitations.


The cake was iced in two different shades of blue buttercream and decorated with fondant stripes and polka dots. Debbie & I really loved the colors!


The cake topper was a gum paste 8 squishing a gift bow, which was also made out of gum paste.


If I could relive my 8th birthday, I'd want THIS cake! So fun!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!! I want this cake!

Julie from TheLittleKitchen.net said...

Hey, Melanie.

Of course you know that I love ALL of your cakes! :-) I was wondering what you use to cut the ribbons for this cake and what you use when you cut out shapes from stencils or homemade stencils. I cut some items out last night and they don't cut cleanly, I used the Wilton tapered spatula. Thanks! :)

Mel said...

Julie -
I cut the ribbons on this cake with a simple pizza cutter. For other shapes from stencils and stuff like that, I use a clean X-acto knife blade. The blades are SUPER sharp (be careful, I've cut myself way too often) so they will cut cleanly if the blade is clean. If there is even a little bit of dried fondant/sugar from the last time you cut, it'll snag your new cut.

Hope that helps! :)

M's Mommy said...

Have you ever made a train cake? Mitchell's party is May 1. Would love for you to make his cake... You sound SUPER busy so let me know if you have time.

Julie from TheLittleKitchen.net said...

Melanie- thanks for responding! I will try them again tonight using an X-acto knife. Sorry for commenting on the wrong post, I swear I thought I clicked on the right comments link. :)

Melanie said...

Julie, don't worry about it! I was excited to see comments on the New Orleans post...but it doesn't look like anyone from there reads my blog. haha! :)

M's Mommy, yes, I'm busy...but there's always room for more cake, right?! I'll email you right now.

Post a Comment