Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Toy Story 3 Cake!

It's not often that I get excited about a children's movie being released in theaters, but the release of Toy Story 3 is a different story! Part of the excitement I feel is due to watching the Toy Story 3 Cakes episode on Food Network Challenge. And adding to the anticipation was the fun I had creating this cake for a boy's 4th birthday:


Michael's parents found a photo of a similar cake on the internet and asked us to replicate it. I can't find that photo online, but I did find this one from Dreemkagg's Flickr Photostream:


Obviously, this cake has been done more than once, but I can't figure out who created the original. Super cute idea though!


Anyway, the whole cake was decorated with buttercream, except for the moon. To best create the lunar craters, I covered it with gray fondant.


Michael's mom purchased all the little toy figures especially for this cake, and I think they worked fabulously! He really didn't want to leave the toys with us for the week, but we promised we'd keep them safe and return them on his birthday cake. It was a tough call, but he finally trusted us.


I'll leave you today with a few fun quotes from the Toy Story movies:

Buzz: I've set my laser from stun to kill.
Woody: Oh, great. If anyone attacks we can blink em' to death.

Mr. Potato Head: Oh, really? I'm from Playskool.
Rex: And I'm from Mattel. Well, I'm not really from Mattel, I'm actually from a smaller company that was purchased by Mattel in a leveraged buyout.

Mrs. Potato Head: [to Mr. Potato Head] I'm packing your extra pair of shoes, and your angry eyes just in case.
Later...
Mr. Potato Head: Prepare to meet
[shouts]
Mr. Potato Head:Mr Angry Eyes! Argh argh!
[he accidentally sticks his extra pair of shoes on his face and runs into a wall]

11 comments:

Sue said...

Very cute cake & I love the quotes! (Potato Heads are the best.)

Lora said...

I *love* this cake! I love the whole Toy Story franchise and am excited too :) You did a great job, as usual

faithy said...

soo cute! it's so adorable..! love the design!

Elise said...

I'll have to show Lorelei this cake. She is OBSESSED with both the Toy Story movies. She often wakes up and it's all she can talk about. This is such a cute cake!

Reagan's Mommy said...

I am dying to know how you made the wood look so real, i have a cake due on tuesday i need wood for like that, and i cant figure out what to do!! This cake is super cute!!

Aileen said...

Yikes! This cake is amazing.

Melanie said...

@Reagan's Mommy, the wood was created by marbelizing different shades of brown fondant together and then pressing it with a wood grain impression mat. :)

Anonymous said...

how can i get a cake like that and how much do you charge?
many thanks Michelle

Melanie said...

@Michelle, if you live in north central Florida, call Ms Debbie's Sugar Art (352-472-9895). If not, take a picture of the cake to your local cake decorator and they can probably replicate it. :)

Anonymous said...

What size pans did you use on the Michael and Kristen cake. I'm going to attempt to make this for my son's birthday, but I'm needing to know pan sizes? Thanks!!

Jana said...

Hi! I'm needing to do a fence for my son's cake. What tool did you used to get the "wood-grain" look (and where can I find it)? Also, what medium did you used (fondant, modeling chocolate, etc)? Thanks!

Post a Comment