Thursday, August 19, 2010

Pink Princess Cake

I love this cake because it is sooooooo simple.


It's just an 8-inch round cake iced in soft pink buttercream. We textured it with the quilting pattern and put sugar pearls at the intersection points. The name and number on the top are just fondant cut-outs, and the crown is plastic! A clean, pure design but it still looks regal enough for a 4-year-old's birthday party.


It's a perfect example that you can get a cake for any budget. Of course, the more you're willing to spend, the more out-of-the-box and show-stopping your cake will be! But this is a great cake, don't you agree?

How to keep costs down if you've already blown your party budget:
-Avoid sugar work. Use plastic figures or silk flowers wherever possible, but don't compromise on the appearance! For example, this is a cute crown. Don't get a cheap-y looking one that will ruin your cake.
-Stick with minimal decorating. While it's definitely more boring for us decorators, keep the decorating simple. The less time a decorator spends on a cake, the less money you'll probably spend on it.
-Avoid fondant. Many decorators, though not all, charge slightly more for a fondant-covered cake. Why do they charge extra? It's logical really. Covering a cake in fondant requires both more time and more material - they've got to cover those costs.
-Tell your decorator your budget. Yes, really! Many decorators are willing to try to work within your budget. They can give you options on your cake to show you what you can get for your money. Just ask! But don't insult your decorator by trying to get a cake dirt cheap - respect her time and effort. If you realize that you just can't afford the cakes, be "man" enough to tell the decorator and order a cake in the future when you can.*

Now, having said all that, I also have to add that cake decorating is an art form. If you can afford it, set aside a little extra money for the cake. Many decorators will really amaze you with what they can do in sugar!

Oh, and that reminds me...I'm going to do a series of posts about how to successfully compete, and hopefully win, in cake decorating competitions. If you have any specific questions, post them in a comment or email them to me!

*I'm giving you this advice because it's truly what I believe. I do not take cake orders so none of this is inspired from a particular experience. It's just a little bit of insider information on how to get an adorable custom cake if you can't afford to get the kind of cakes you see on TV. If you have your own opinions, we'd love to see them in the comments!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to repost this on my blog crediting you of course if you are ok with that. I just think you could not have said this any better.

Mel said...

princess421, you can definitely repost the information! I honored. :) Post the link to your blog here when you get it up so we can all read your insight too! Thanks!

Sue said...

It's a perfect cake for a perfect little princess!

Lark said...

but how do you get the buttercream to look like fondant! It looks so smooth! But it also looks like something I could possibly try myself, if I could figure out how to ice a cake that smoothly. It is really a cute cake!

Mrs. Z JB,FL said...

Beautiful work ,Mel! I knew that you had the talent back in middle school art class:) I am so proud of you! I too, worked on cakes -- your true rewards come from the customer's smiles -- beautiful sugar work --- and I am sure they taste awesome too! Great crooked grad cake! I'll check back frequently!

Anonymous said...

AMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZING LOOOOKING CAKE !!!!!!! AWESOME

Post a Comment